If You’re Remodeling, It’s Time to Think About Insurance

If you’re thinking about remodeling your home, be sure to talk to your Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance agent before you get started. Whether you’re a do-it-yourselfer or hiring a professional, and whether you’re considering a small bathroom update or planning to add an entire second floor, you need to make sure you have the right amount and types of insurance coverage both during and after your remodel.


First, depending on the project, you may need to update your homeowners insurance policy. Your agent can also advise whether other types of insurance may be needed for additional financial protection.


Second, your agent will help you determine whether you have sufficient liability protection if someone helping you—like a friend or family member—is injured during the project.


Third, for large-scale projects, your agent can advise whether you need a builder’s risk policy, either as a stand-alone policy or as an add-on to your existing homeowners policy. This type of coverage protects against damage during construction—like wind, rain, vandalism, and theft.


Last, if you’re using a contractor, you need to think about his insurance as well as your own. Ask to see a copy of his policies, which should include both general liability and workers compensation. If you have questions, you can consult your Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance agent for guidance.


Take care of insurance before a remodel and you’ll have one less thing to worry about.

Support Virginia Agriculture

Join Now

Related Articles

Get Recognized

If your publication or radio or television station is delivering stellar coverage of agriculture on an ongoing basis, this is the award competition to enter. Learn More